Being a team captain is an opportunity to share a great experience with friends and family members, or co-workers — a community coming together for a common goal and the accomplishment of a unique personal challenge! As the Team Captain, you are the leader, motivator and educator for your team. Your enthusiasm will encourage your team members to raise more funds and come back year after year.
Team Captain Tips
- Be a motivator! Promote your team goals and work to reach them.
- Discuss training and fundraising ideas with team members.
- Encourage team members to register, turn in donations, and stay enthusiastic about the event.
- Send out group emails, hold team meetings or host a team kick off or post event celebration.
- Thank all participants and sponsors for their support and let them know that you'll need their help again next year.
Team Captain Responsibilities
Your main priority is to keep your teammates informed, motivated and engaged in Bike MS. Once your team is registered, you will be contacted by a staff liaison to address any needs you may have.
- Register Your Team-Register your team on this page. You need to enter a team name and fundraising goal.
- Get organized-Send out emails or newsletters regularly, host or organize team functions and plan fundraising events.
- Recruit new team members-Set a recruitment goal and go for it! If your team is open to new members, fill out this form and get your profile up on our website. This is an easy way to attract new riders!
- Mentor new participants-Teach them everything that they need to know about being a successful participant.
- Set a fundraising goal-The minimum pledge requirement is $250. We encourage everyone to fundraise with the mission in mind and go for your goal.
- Stay up-to-date on your team’s fundraising progress through your participant center.
Tips for Brand New Team Captains
Now that you have taken on the role of team captain, you may be wondering what to do next. The Team MS staff is here to help and here are some ideas to get you started.
Recruit Extra Help
Recruiter – Designate one person to register team members and monitor the online team roster.
Fund Raiser – The fundraising expert teaches team members how to fund raise successfully.
Party Planner – The party planner is responsible for initiating sign-up days, team fundraisers and any other event to get the team motivated.